All the four states have some Schedule Tribe population. However, barring districts in Jharkhand, there are no ‘tribals’ (Indigenous Peoples, as defined by the Bank) in any of the other project areas. In Jharkhand, state policies ensure that tribal interests are protected in accordance with the Indian Constitutional provision (Article 244). Four of the six districts chosen for project coverage in Jharkhand are recognized as distinct tribal territories, where special Constitutional protections apply. The proposed project interventions are not likely to have any adverse impact on the tribal groups. Accordingly, in line with the Bank’s OP 4.10, a Tribal Development Plan (TDP) has been prepared, with the objective of the ‘promotion of inclusive, equitable and sustainable water supply and sanitation delivery through fostering and empowering grassroots tribal institutions in the tribal areas’. The TDP will have geographical jurisdiction comprising all distinct tribal territories of the six project districts in Jharkhand. Simultaneously, GoI’s policies for promoting RWSS activities for STs will also be implemented in the four States.
(The World Bank Operational Manual: Operational Policies 4.10)
Objective of TDP
Overall objective of Tribal Development Plan is ‘Promotion of inclusive, equitable and sustainable water supply and sanitation delivery through fostering and empowering grassroots tribal institutions in the tribal areas.’
Objectives of TDP under NNP:
- To ensure the participation of tribal people in planning, implementation and decision making of ‘Neer Nirmal Pariyojna’ (NNP).
- To ensure the development process of tribal people without compromising on the dignity, culture and heritage of tribal people.
- To ensure the optimum benefit to the tribal people under NNP. This includes access to water and sanitation facilities by tribal and PVTG communities of the project districts.
- Covering approximately 4 lakhs tribal population through small and large schemes under NNP
- Strengthen tribal institutions (Traditional Governance Systems) through their participation in NNP
Tribal Development Plan
Keeping in mind the Goal and Objectives of TDP under Neer Nirmal Pariyojna a pre project study was undertaken by IPE Global to assess the existing condition of tribals in Jharkhand. This document covers the status of tribes in detail (Jharkhand Tribal Development Plan). Further a Tribal Development Implementation Plan is under preparation based on this study, field visits by SPMU, DPMU and DPMC, and various inputs from District and State level workshops.