Multi Village Scheme- Water and Sanitation Committee, is formed in those scheme areas which is covering villages spread in more than one Gram Panchayat. As per the project context there are two types of Multi village Schemes namely;
- Small Multi Village Schemes (SMVS) covering upto 2 Gram Panchayats
- Large Multi Village Schemes (SMVS) covering 3 to 5 Gram Panchayats
In a multi village scheme the intake well, water treatment plant, ESR (elevated surface reservoir) and distribution pipelines are spread over a number of villages in different Gram Panchayats. For better co-ordination of services related with bulk water supply system and intra village water supply, an institution is required to be formed. Every village has its Village Water and Sanitation Committee which has 12 members in which Mukhiya of GP is the Chairman, a women PRI member is Vice Chairman (incase PRI member is not women then any women selected by Gram Sabha) and Treasurer (Jal Sahiya; necessarily a woman from village) along with 9 other members selected by Gram Sabha.
In the state of Jharkhand, a Government order no. 08/ NRDWP-43/2013-4003 dated 20.09.2013 has been issued regarding formation procedure, composition and basic principles to be followed during the period of O&M. As per the GO, MVS- WSC needs to be formed consisting of members selected from VWSCs.
Purpose/ Objectives of formation of MVS-WSC
The objectives/ purpose of constitution of the MVS-WSC is the following:
- To co-ordinate between Drinking Water and Sanitation Department (DWSD) and VWSC for O&M of common facilities of MVS and bulk water supply to the participating GPs/ Villages/ Habitations.
- To co-ordinate with Chairpersons of participating VWSCs during planning, implementation & post implementation of MVS.
- To co-ordinate with Drinking Water and Sanitation Department (DWSD) and VWSC in identification of land, technology preferences and other activities for construction of MVS on mutual consensus basis.
- To put forth the requirement of community in terms of technology preferences, site locations and household connection etc. to the nodal department.
- Support and assist the agency responsible for water supply and sanitation design, implementation, and maintenance of water supply and sanitation scheme.
- Resolve all disputes arising between VWSCs covered under the scheme.
- Organize regular meetings of MVS-WSC and to inform all concerned members prior to any meeting.
- To collect bulk water charges fixed by Drinking Water and Sanitation Department (DWSD) as per bulk water tariff policy from GPs covered under MVS, if entrusted.
- To ensure equitable access/ supply to all households including the hamlets.
Composition of MVS-WSC:
The composition of Multi Village Scheme Water and Sanitation Committee (MVS-WSC) is as below:
- The Multi Village Scheme- Water and Sanitation Committee (MVS-WSC) consists of the following members:
President: Mukhiya of the Gram Panchayat having highest number of connection to be the President of MVS-WSC.
Secretary: Mukhiya/Up Mukhiya of the Gram Panchayat having second highest number of connection to be the Secretary of MVS-WSC.
Treasurer and convenor: the Jal Sahiya from the same GP (nominated by the President of MVS-WSC).
Members: Mukhiya/Up mukhiya from each Gram Panchayat covered under the scheme
- 50% Jal Sahiya to be nominated out of all the VWSCs covered under the MVS.
- There is 50% representation of women
- At least 1/3rd of the total members represent the weaker section.
- Cluster co-ordinator is the facilitator of the committee.
The committee members will work purely on a voluntary basis and will not be eligible for any sort of allowances, fees or honorarium for working in this Committee.
Meetings of MVS-WSC
- MVS-WSC shall have meeting at least once a month and as per the requirement.
- Information about the meeting shall be provided at least prior to one week of the meeting to all the members.
- For taking any decision the quorum of the meeting shall be 1/3rd of the total number of members. If quorum is not complete in the meeting then meeting shall be cancelled and another meeting shall be scheduled. In the next meeting there shall be no compulsion of quorum and decision can be taken by the members present in the meeting.
- Respective Assistant Engineer/ Junior Engineer related with the scheme will not only attend the meeting but also support the committee during meeting. The respective cluster co-ordinator will support the committee in arranging the meeting.
- It is the responsibility of President and Jal Sahiya that all decisions taken during the meetings is document and the members and concerned stakeholders are informed about these decisions.