District Water and Sanitation Mission (DWSM) and District Water and Sanitation Committee (DWSC): Each of the Project districts have DWSMs, headed by the ZP Chairperson in all the Districts. In the Project Districts also, DWSMs are present. These are being made fully operational and effective through substantial capacity building of all members and providing them with monitoring systems. DWSM is the overall body for oversight aspects of all Rural Water and Sanitation Programs in the District including approval of schemes, fund flow, capacity building & IEC activities and M&E. The DWSM receives policy guidance from the SWSM. The key roles of DWSM are the following:
- Oversee formulation, management and monitoring of projects and progress under the Project
- Provide administrative approvals of all SHS/ SGS/ Sanitation schemes
- Select Support Organisations and enter into agreements for social mobilization, capacity development, communication, project management and supervision, etc.
- Capacity building and IEC including sensitising the public representatives, officials and the general public, with support of WSSO
- Coordinate matters relating to water and sanitation between district representatives of Health, Education, Forests, Agriculture, Rural Development as well as National Programs such as SSA, NRHM, ICDS, etc.
- Interaction with SWSM and State Government
DWSM will be assisted by the District Water and Sanitation Committee (DWSC) (headed by the Deputy Commissioner) as its executive arm for guiding the implementation of the RWSS policies and programs at the district level. The key roles of DWSC would be:
- Provide necessary support to DWSM for operationalization of the Project
- Selection of GPs based on the criteria laid down by the SWSM
- Scrutinize SHS/ SGS/ Sanitation schemes submitted by the GPs in order to provide administrative approval
- Undertake capacity building and IEC activities with support from WSSO
- Provide support to GPs in identifying and engaging Support Organisations (SOs)
- Release funds to GP/ GPWSC for SHS/ SGS/ intra habitation assets and sanitation schemes and release funds to DWSD for multi village schemes (common assets)